Fasoliya 🍛 Arabic Green Beans Stew

Ramadan Mubarak! I hope that you have had a great experience so far in this blessed month. Can you believe that we are already halfway through, and sooner than we think the Eid festivities will begin. Each year before Ramadan, I have these mixed feelings and thoughts, “will fasting be too difficult?”, “will I be too thirsty or hungry?”, “how will it go?”. It doesn’t matter if I’m an elite faster, or that it has been such a pleasant experience each year, and that I barely get so hungry... Those thoughts always come back and hunt me each year before Ramadan, making me nervous for no reason. Truth is, Ramadan has always been such a memorable experience for me that I wouldn’t trade it for anything else - I hope that’s how you feel too. 

So, what have you been making for iftaar so far? How do you break your fast?
Let me share this delicious recipe with you. If you haven’t tried it yet, you just have to!

You can make Fasoliya with either beef or lamb, it’s up to you. I made the Arabic green beans stew with lamb, and believe me my mouth was watering! You have to try breaking your fast with this flavorful dish during one of your last iftaar dinners, especially with your friends and family. You won’t regret it! 





Such a delicious dish that’s rich with the right flavors!


List of ingredients:


  • 1 pound lamb cubes
  • 3 cups cut green beans
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tomato
  • 2 tsp tomato paste
  • 2 cups of water
  • Half a carrot, sliced into two parts
  • 1 tbsp cilantro
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper


Step-by-step guide:








Basic fresh ingredients





Start with cutting the onion





In a pot, add the onion with some oil





Fry the onion until golden brown





Garlic time





Add the garlic and give it a quick fry







Add the lamb cubes






Meat ready to cook





Brown the meat





Add salt and pepper





Add the spices and let it cook for a few minutes





Pour the water and fill it up just above the meat




Cover the pot and let it cook for 1 hour until meat is tender and water has reduced





Water has reduced after 1 hour






Add tomato paste





Chop the tomato





Cut the green beans





Add the green beans and tomato






Let it cook






Cut half a carrot in half





Add the carrots into the stew




Let it cook covered for another hour, or until carrots and beans are soft




The sauce should get a brown-reddish color





Chop the cilantro





Add to the stew, and cook for a few minutes




Iftaar dinner is served! So yummy! 

Comments